Sunday 13 April 2014

Today I had the misfortune of watching Goynar Baksho.

If  any of you are interested to know how to make a progressive literary text into a regressive conformist film, try watching Goynar Baksho. Aparna Sen has done her magic again. She has taken an extraordinary story and turned it into a trash can for all she has learnt that year. Watching the film is like talking to a typical 'dumb  blonde' who has just memorised one volume of encyclopedia. If that is an example of socially aware art film, then give me commercial trash anyday.

Well I am more perturbed because Goynar Baksho is one of my favourite Bengali novels of all time. I have several choicest words to describe Sen's endeavours but those are rude. So I'm just gonna point out some points that drives me bonkers:

  • Why Moushumi Chatterjee? Did Sen thing MC would be a comic relief. Was the the role of pishima supposed to be comical. Was she thinking that she is adopting an Enid Blyton story?

  • Why did she get whole aspect of "Muktijuddho" into is? In this film, she was neither able to show any liberated woman character nor any liberated Bangladeshi Character.

  • A daughter from a Zamindar family hopes to marry a servant's son- does this plot sound new, liberating or promising in anyway? If not, do not watch the film.

  • Let's not talk about Kankana's casting. Each one of have our crosses to bear, she has a mother in form of a mediocre  actress and worse filmmaker.


I can go on but the only thing I'm ending up doing is irritating myself more. At the end of the day,


People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment